Results of the Children's Consultation from the Last Event
First it was important to identify age appropriate questions that would allow the children to give their views on the 5 Every Child Matters (ECM) categories:
- Being Healthy
- Staying Safe
- Enjoying & Achieving
- Achieving Economic Well-being
- Making a Positive Contribution
For the consultation the children were invited to put on a costume (a doctor's stethoscope, a teacher's mortar board, a policeman's hat, a king/queen crown and was asked to answer the questions related to that costume:
1) If I were a Doctor I would make sure people in Brighton and Hove were healthy by...
2) If I were a policeman I would make sure people in Brighton and Hove were safe by...
3) If I were a teacher in Brighton and Hove I would change my school by...
4) What do you do after school?
5) What would you like to do after school?
6) What do you like about Brighton and Hove?
7) What don't you like about Brighton and Hove?
8) If I were King / Queen for the day I would make Brighton and Hove better by...
9) Do you feel that the grown ups listen to your views and opinions?
10) When I'm older I want to be...
(The exact wording of the questions differed to make them appropriate to the child's age.)
After the event we spoke to the two lovely people that did the children's consultation and they were delighted with the answers and seemed to enjoy the experience as much as the kids did.
Below are the Consultation Summery and the Appendix document. The Summery outlines the children's views in relation to the 5 ECM categories. The appendix contains what the children actually said which was our favourite thing to read.