Raising the Participation Age in Brighton & Hove
From September 2013, all young people in England will be required by law to stay in learning until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17 (at the moment it’s 16) and from September 2015 until their 18th birthday.
Remaining in learning doesn’t necessarily mean remaining at school. These are the options available to young people:
· Full-time education, such as school, college or home education
· Work-based learning, such as an apprenticeship
· Part-time education or training if employed, self-employed or volunteering for more than 20 hours a week
Will your child be affected by this?
- If your child is currently (academic year Sept 11-July 12) in Year 10, they will be required to stay on until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17
- If your child is currently (academic year Sept 11- July 12) in Year 9 or below, they will be required to stay on at least until their 18th birthday.